Sunday, May 11, 2014

From the Heights to the Depths, by Tony Smela

Sunday was a free day for most of us.  After experiencing a beautiful Mass in French and Latin, we were free to spend the day as we chose.  While most of our group stayed back at the guest house to recover and prepare for the next part of the pilgrimage, there was a small group of us that wanted back into the Old City of Jerusalem.  Of the many adventures we had, one encounter stands out that I would like to share.

Joe Campbell and myself were at the Western Wall, and we were on our way to the Dung Gate when I saw a group of 30 young adults sitting on the ground.  That is not such an unusual sight, for many groups will do that.  But this group caught my eye because many of them were sporting the block M from the University of Michigan.  I had to ask.

So, I quickly sat down next to a few of them and ask them if they are from the University of Michigan and they said yes!  But, at that moment, I noticed that Joe did not see me stop, so I had to quickly get up and chase after him.  As I did so, I yelled back "Go Blue!"

But God is not without a sense of humor.

I quickly chased down Joe and told him what just happened.  But, as I said the words "University of Michigan", a young woman walked right by us, and she asked if we were from Michigan.  We said yes, and she proceeded to inform us that she was an Ohio State fan.  My first response was "You've got to be kidding me!"  As she walked away, she seemed quite pleased with herself, her grin stretching from ear to ear.

From the heights of consolation to the depths of desolation.

1 comment: